For the Good of the
Public and the Country
“Pro Bono Publico Et Patria”
Manila Law College
The Journey to Excellence of the Oldest Filipino Law School in the Philippines
The Manila Law School (MLC) traces its origin to the renowned “Escuela de Derecho de Manila,” which was founded in 1899. It is therefore the country’s first Filipino law school.
On June 12, 1898, the first Philippine Republic was born with the proclamation of Philippine Independence. The New Philippine Republic needed a Constitution in order to define its guiding principles and establish the organs of government. The much-heralded First Philippine Constitution or the “Malolos Constitution”, which was promulgated on January 21, 1899, was principally authored by Don Felipe Gonzales Calderon.
Don Felipe G. Calderon saw the need for the establishment of a law school which could train Filipino lawyers and provide legal services to the people and government of the New Republic. He then founded the “Escuela de Derecho de Manila” on June 28, 1899 — and became the school’s first-ever dean. Since then, the school has trained lawyers who later became Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, magistrates, government officials, and law practitioners.
In 1930, in keeping with a trend to teach law in the English language in line with the American Occupation of the Philippines, Supreme Court Justice Felix Angelo Bautista converted the “Escuela de Derecho de Manila” to Manila Law College. Justice Bautista became the Dean of the Manila Law College, succeeding the position from founder Don Felipe G. Calderon.
Others who followed Justice Bautista as MLC Dean were: Manuel Camus, Perfecto Laguio, Justice Edgardo L. Paras, Enrique C. Galang, Arnulfo M. Flores, Pablo Meer, Justice Porfirio V. Sison, Amb. Benjamin B. Domingo, Felipe R. Fragante, and Judge Joselito C. Villarosa. The incumbent Dean is Prof. Sergio M. Ceniza.
MLC is now headed by its President, Prof. Rodolfo Valentino F. Bautista. He is the son of former President and Chairman of the Board, Dr. Eduardo J. Bautista, Sr., and the grandson of Supreme Court Associate Justice Felix Angelo Bautista.
- Original and two photocopies of Transcript of Records (TOR)
- Original and two photocopies of baccalaureate degree Diploma
- Certificate of Good Moral Character from the college/university where baccalaureate degree was completed
- Two 2×2 ID pictures
- Certificate of Honorable Dismissal from the last law school attended
- Original and two photocopies of Transcript of Records (TOR) or Certified Copy of Grades from the last law school attended
- Certificate of Good Moral Character from the college/university from the last law school attended
- Two 2×2 ID pictures
- Letter of Application with the following details:
- Complete name
- Date of birth
- Residential address
- Contact number
- Name of last school attended
- Baccalaureate degree completed
- Year baccalaureate degree was completed
- Occupation (if applicable)
- Name and address of employer (if applicable)
- Name of parents or persons to contact in case of emergency and their contact details
PCCR Alumni Association Board of Trustees
P/LT. COL. ROSALINO P. IBAY
Chief, MPD SMaRT (Special Mayor’s Reaction Team), City of Manila; COPS 2017 Awaardee, Metrobank Foundation
Manila Law College Articles
As a testament to its drive for Quality Education and Leadership, The Philippine College of Criminology (PCCR) recently improved its academic line-up with the addition of its new General Education Head Dr. Lesa Diaz. With more than 20 years of academic leadership...
Reflecting its current Foundation Day Theme of “Reaching Greater Heights through Transformational Education”, The Philippine College of Criminology (PCCR) continues to strengthen its academic core with the addition of its new Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA)...
As the pinnacle of the school’s academic journey and experience, the Philippine College of Criminology (PCCR) Graduate School continues to push itself to greater heights. Recently, Dr. Rhem Rick Corpuz was appointed as its new Dean in hopes of building on its...